Monday, December 15, 2008

Feeling Crafty

The other night I was up late working on Christmas cards, nearly falling asleep at my desk, ready to roll into bed and suddenly, I realized that this idea I had been toying with for about six months HAD to be made. Tonight. Now. Wake up, Jenn! The slumber quickly left me as I rubbed my eyes, scissors in hand, and began cutting.
This past summer we spent a lot of time with the Minneapolis Nature Kids group. One of the girls in the group practically shares a birthday with me and I wanted to celebrate her 5th. I didn't get a card in the mail, so I decided to really celebrate, with a bag. A stick bag, that is. Maddie has a love of sticks and frequently finds beautiful specimens on walks. Usually her Mom winds up carrying them so Maddie will have her hands free to look for more. I determined early on in the summer that there had to be a better way.
I sketched it in August, but it came off the paper this weekend. Here it is. A pink, fleece bag with an over-the-shoulder carrying strap, a drawstring of vintage striped ribbon, a zipper to reach into the depths of the bag to find the teenyist pieces of bark on the bottom, and some embroidery to verify its purpose. It felt great to knock it out... in 45 minutes. Now, why can't I get the rest of these ideas out of my head and into someone's hands?

No comments: