Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rhubarb season


That's rhubarb string, to the uninitiated.



I've been watching the rhubarb growing with a big grin on my face. I am looking forward to the day when I can get out my jars, the cherry jello, cherry pie filling and RUN OUT TO THE YARD. I'm looking forward to another year of making Dianne French's world famous cherry rhubarb jelly. I've harvested a few stalks here and there... some to make a rhubarb crunch for book club, a few to take to my grandma, a little rhubarb sauce for late night vanilla ice cream and of course the requisite rhubarb swords that the boys like to joust with in the yard. But I'm waiting, waiting, waiting until I know that I'll have a little extra time with Carl still in school to get to work on the jelly. Maybe tonight is the night? A midnight harvest while the kids sleep? The rhubarb has to sit in a bowl overnight with sugar to soften it before you prepare the recipe.

No comments: