Monday, July 26, 2010

Birthday Sewing

For Louise's birthday this year, I really wanted to sew her a birthday dress and continue a tradition I began when she was one. A week before her birthday I found the perfect fabric and although I knew I had no time to be attempting such silliness, I decided to go ahead. The fabric was only found at faraway fabric stores or even a local store in NE Mpls... but that meant packing up three kids to a fabric store and hoping for the best. Instead, I found a terrific resource here in my own backyard, almost. An online fabric store called Cia's Palette is located just over a mile from here and... she delivered my fabric! I wanted to kiss her when she arrived at my door! Not only did she deliver it, she also consulted with me over the phone about which fabric would make the best contrasting fabric and mailed me some generous samples in the mail from which to compare.

I finished the dress after her birthday, but at least I finished it within a month of the date. Next year, my sister warned me, I had better get started after Christmas.

5 comments:

Jess said...

This is darling! That's a mighty fine tradition to continue.

Sarah Jane said...

It looks great, Jenn. Krista's advise cracks me up.

Kerry said...

Oh I just love how it turned out. Really cute Jenn! I'll have to check out Cia's too. Awesome!

paperseed said...

That dress kicks butt! The DIY version of Tea Collection. Love it!

Valerie said...

this is so pretty !!!
Louise has changed (grown !) so much since I last visited you (before my navigator messed up !)